Directus is seeking an experienced developer to join its developer relations team. The successful candidate will play a key role in helping developers discover, learn and succeed with Directus. The Developer Advocate will produce and maintain high-quality documentation and guides for new and existing features, engage with external developer communities, and support developers with questions. The role requires excellent communication skills, technical knowledge, and the ability to work collaboratively across teams.
For 70-80% of the time you will be:
- Creating and maintaining documentation and guides for new and updated features
- Collaborating with the engineering team to ensure technical completeness and accuracy
- Developing tutorials, blog posts, and short-form social content that engages and educates developers
For 20-30% of the time you will be:
- Engaging with developers in external communities, both online and in-person, through event attendance, public speaking, and being a good member of developer communities
- Supporting developers who have questions, and identify opportunities to create content to help those with similar questions in future
- Building small demos and projects to support both internal teams and external developers
Who You Are
- Strong technical writing skills and ability to communicate complex technical concepts to a diverse audience
- Passion for community building and fostering developer relationships
- Knowledge of open source projects and principles
- Excellent problem-solving skills and ability to work collaboratively across teams
- Ability to take ownership of deliverables through conception, prioritization, and delivery
- A natural curiosity to learn and share knowledge
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced startup environment
- 2+ years of experience in software development or a related field.
- Experience in technical writing, developer relations, or education is a plus.
- Can relate business needs with the needs and expectations of our audience.
- Experience working with open source projects.
If you don't match all of the criteria - still apply!
Directus' Developer Relations team is housed within our marketing department. As a Developer Advocate, you will be the third member of our DevRel team, joining our DevRel Lead and an existing Developer Advocate. At Directus, we value community deeply, both as a driver of business success and because many of us began as community members ourselves.
Salary range: $75-85k
While officially headquartered in NYC, all our staff is decentralized by design. Our global team has been efficiently working remotely for over a decade, coming together each day via internal chats and online tools. As long as you have a webcam and a fast/reliable internet connection, you're all set!
Directus is a venture-backed Open Data Platform with a passionate community and millions of users worldwide. Modern and completely modular, our core product is comprised of a connection toolkit for developers, and an intuitive no-code App for non-technical users. With the ability to be installed next to any new or existing SQL database, Directus instantly provides end-to-end data democratization.
Directus provides the data foundation for internal data tools and omnichannel digital experiences at some of the world's most forward-looking companies, including AT&T, Bose, HTC, Prada, TripAdvisor, and the United States Navy.
We're obsessed with meticulously honing the perfect data platform. Our product-led growth strategy keeps us focused on creating a premium offering, prioritizing innovative solutions over feature bloat, and code quality over technical debt.
Our team and ecosystem are growing at a rapid pace, but we still enjoy the benefits of being a smaller, more "tactical" team. Our organization is intentionally flat, with everyone wearing a few hats, and working with relative autonomy.
Directus is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We're committed to building a diverse team of talented individuals who bring different perspectives to the company, and who feel a sense of inclusion and belonging when they join our team.
If you're unsure about some of the details above, feel free to reach out with questions. We would love to hear from you!